Mexican Gumbo


This is my take on a favorite from Qdoba. It is awesome and very filling!

Ingredients:

For soup:
4 cups chicken broth
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
4 14.5 oz cans Hunt's Fire Roasted Tomatoes
½ cup chopped onion
3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 cup fresh salsa
1 cup water
3 T masa flour

Other ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (I use brown rice for added fiber)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-4 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
shredded cheddar jack cheese ( I use 2% kind)
pico de gallo
sour cream (I use fat free)
tortilla strips or tortilla chips (optional - I leave them off my portion for calorie reasons)

Directions:

To make the soup:
In a large stock pot mix the chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, green chiles, and tomatoes. Add the the onion, chipotles, and salsa. Use an imersion blender to mix to a semi-smooth texture. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Whisk together the masa and water in a small bowl and add to the pot. Simmer for 30 more minutes.


To serve gumbo:
Layer the ingredients in each person's bowl as follows:
1/2 cup rice, 1/4 cup black beans, about 1 cup of soup (or more if you like)
Top with cooked grilled chicken, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream and tortilla strips (optional)

Eat and enjoy!

The nutritional information below is for the soup. You will need to add additional calories, etc. for the specific items and portions you add to your bowl.

7 comments:

Kellie said...

Hi Cynthia. I didn't have an email addy for you so I hope you don't mind if I leave a comment for you here.
Thanks for stopping by and for your nice compliment.

I LOVE your menu planners and recipes. I am a struggling cook at best, so I've bookmarked you and will be back.

I also took a look at your book chat blog and think it is fantastic! I started one two years ago at school and it never really went anywhere...you've inspired me to update it and give it another go when school starts back.

...and you're right, robots. :)

Anonymous said...

The picture is beautiful! I will have to look into the soup package. I love to make soups!

Jen
http://www.ListPlanIt.com

Cynthia Matzat said...

I used to make this recipe with a packaged soup mix, but finally came up with a basic tortilla soup that I love!

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

This is INCREDIBLE. This is my second time making this soup and this version is, in my opinion, almost identical to Qdoba. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I think this is exactly like Qdoba and a little better because I control the portions. This was very delicious and very easy to make.

Anonymous said...

Is the T for tablespoon?

Cynthia Matzat said...

Yes, the T is for tablespoon.