Homestyle Ham and Beans

One of my favorite treats at Silver Dollar City during Christmas season is a serving of their ham and beans with fried potatoes and corn bread. I had never made ham and beans at home before, and decided it was about time I try. I'm so glad I did, because it was very easy, and my recipe is even better than SDC! :)



Ingredients:
1 ham bone (I get them from Honeybaked Ham)
1 lb. great northern beans
1/2 lb. pinto beans
2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. pepper

Directions:
Rinse the dried beans and remove any residual material. Soak overnight in 8 cups of water (at least 8 hours). Drain soak water and rinse beans.

Add 8 cups of hot water to rinsed beans in a large stock pot. Add the ham bone, onion powder and pepper to the pot. Simmer covered for 2 hours until beans are tender and ham is falling off bone.

Remove the ham bone and pull off meat. Chop into bite-sized pieces and return meat to pot (discard bone). Stir and serve.

This makes a huge pot of ham and beans. The leftovers freeze well.

0 comments: