Menu Plan Monday - Desperation Dinners


Ok, I said I was busy last week, but this week is a tad bit out of control. I won't rant and rave about my ridiculous schedule, but instead, I will use it as an opportunity to share with you how I avoid eating out on a week when cooking is almost impossible unless you like to eat really late at night (which I do not). This is a week of what I call "desperation dinners". When I know that I am going to have zero time to cook, I rely on convenience foods from the grocery store or items that I might have stocked up in my freezer (which, unfortunately for me this week, is running a bit low). Here's this week's menu of desperation dinners. For more menu ideas that might not be so desperate, visit orgjunkie.com. I should have a more "normal" menu next week, but hopefully you can see how convenience items can keep you away from McDonalds. :) Have a great week!

Sunday - ate at my mom's (who happened to send home some leftovers - thanks, Mom!)
Monday - Stouffer's Chicken Alfredo (my favorite go-to frozen entree), broccoli, peaches
Tuesday - Red Beans and Rice with Sausage (Zatarans low sodium w/ lowfat smoked sausage), salad
Wednesday - BBQ Pork Sandwiches (from freezer), leftover cheesy potatoes from my mom, leftover baked beans from my mom
Thursday - Mac & Cheese with Tuna (yes, the kind in the box, mixed with a can of tuna - the boys love it for some reason); Green beans
Friday - Beenie Weenies (I had a coupon for free hot dogs this week); Salad, Applesauce
Saturday - out to eat for my anniversary!

4 comments:

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

Gotta love those "desperation menus"! During the school year, it seems we have those weeks more often than we'd like. I need to just keep a copy of a menu handy to just go to when I need it. Your menu looks like what my family would eat. I may just steal yours!

Heather Walker said...

Boy I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to rely on some frozen meals during really busy times! Thanks for being real with all of us! I feel like I'd rather have something like stouffers than to run to a fast food restaurant! Thanks!!

Cynthia Matzat said...

You bet, Heather! I completely agree about the frozen meal thing. Much better than fast food. I try to be as "real" as I can with this blog, and in reality, there are simply times that you don't have time to make a meal from scratch. I want my blog to be helpful to other busy moms, so I try to share what I do when times get way too busy. Thanks for your comment!

Marci, feel free to steal ideas anytime you want. :)

Yarni Gras! said...

what good suggestions! It really is nice to have a few boxed or frozen goods about.
Stouffer's Lasagna is also really good in a pinch.

My kids ADORE Tuna Tetrazzini (helper)we add a can of mushrooms to ours.

Zatarans jambalya is good with a can of diced tomatoes and some cooked/cubed beef kelbasa.