Bourbon Chicken

Don't let the title fool you - this recipe doesn't have an ounce of bourbon in it. It is easy and tastes great! Because of the soy sauce (even though I use the lower sodium kind), the sodium content of this dish is high.





Ingredients
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce

Directions
Add chicken pieces to a large nonstick skillet heated to medium high heat and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and sugar has dissolved. Add chicken back to the skillet and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.


Serve over rice or noodles.

Makes 6 servings



6 comments:

debhmom3 said...

We had this a week or two ago. It was yummy!

Christiana said...

This looks soooo good! I added this post to my "Friday Faves" list. (Favorite blog posts I've stumbled on in the past week.):)

Thanks! :)

Jenn said...

I found your blog through a friend last week.

We had this for lunch yesterday. My family loved it! Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

I made this tonight and it was a huge hit! Thanks so much!

I think this could easily be adapted for OAMC with reheating in a crockpot. I will try it in a week or two and let you know!

http://mommasez.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-menu-tonight.html

Tina Butler said...

Cant wait to try this recipe. I just found you through organized junkie. I am adding you to my blog roll. We have similar tastes in food.

Tina @ mommyskitchen.net

Anonymous said...

Just made this last night. Didn't have any apple juice, so I substiuted apple sauce. Still came out great. Did see a similary recipe that had 1 T cornstarch. I think it did need the cornstarch to thicken up the sauce a little and really glaze the chicken. All of my picky eaters liked it.