Muffin Making Mania!

Since I only have five days left until I start back to school, I thought I would get a head start on food preparation and pre-make some breakfasts. For many people, a bowl of cold cereal works just fine for breakfast each day. In fact, most kids probably rely on it. But, not at my house. My son and I must be a couple of the rare people who really don't care for cereal, hot or cold. We have both tried to eat it, but it just doesn't seem to do it for us. We've tried to gag down oatmeal several times, knowing that it's good for us and is supposed to be filling, but gagging is all that happens. If we have to, we'll eat cold cereal, but we tend to like that ones that are lacking in nutrients (Captain Crunch, Cocoa Crispies, and Cookie Crisp are our favorites), and they are more like eating puffed candy than eating a filling breakfast. I get major "mom guilt" when I buy and serve these sugar-laden cereals. I would love to cook a big breakfast every day, but being a teacher that lives 30 minutes from my school, we have to get up way too early to even think about having time to cook. Plus, not much sounds good to eat at 5:30 a.m.

So, we eat muffins. I know what you're thinking - muffins are no healthier than cold cereal. That may be true, but they taste so much better and when accompanied with some fresh fruit, they really do fill you up. I try to make recipes that are low in fat (I often substitute applesauce for oil) and I add fiber to them by using whole wheat flour and Fibersure. Today I decided to make a ton of muffins and get them in freezer to have on hand when school starts back up next week. I will post my recipes in case there are others out there that share my struggle with cold cereal. Enjoy, and if you have any new recipes to share, be sure to leave them in the comments! :)

3 comments:

debhmom3 said...

I'm with you on the cereal girl. Yuck-o. My kids and hubby eat it okay, but really they would love something other than that if they have a choice. And it is a good way to sneak fruits and veggies and ham or bacon into my youngest's diet. Thankfully my kids like hard boiled eggs so I can keep some of those in the fridge for a protein boost if we are having a sweet muffin.

DeAnna Sheets said...

So if you freeze muffins do you pull them out the morning of or do you have to lay the back in the fridge for the week? Do you warm them in the microwave then? Sorry trying to get better about breakfast....I am horrible about not eating it and then either going through McDonald's (yuck) or eating school breakfast (expensive).

Cynthia Matzat said...

DeAnna, I set them out on the counter the night before we are going to eat them. I either eat them as is or if I want them warm, I heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds.