Fall, Apple Picking, and Apple Pies

This weekend we did one of my favorite fall activities. We went apple picking at the local orchard! I don't know what it is about apple picking that makes me so happy, but it does. :) We decided to do a fun family project with our apples since we picked more than we could eat. We made apple pies for all of our neighbors and delivered them to their doors. It was a really fun project, and I'm very pleased with how the pies turned out. Here are some photos and my apple pie recipe so you can enjoy vicariously. :)



Apple Pie
Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cinnamon
6 cups thinly sliced apples (about 6 medium) - I like to use a variety of different types in the pie.
2 T butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 pkg ready-made refrigerated pie crust (I like Pillsbury)

Directions:
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Mix white sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry-lined 9" pie plate; dot with butter, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover with top crust; seal and flute. Cut slits in top crust to vent. Cover edge with foil; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, 40-50 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love apple picking and going to the pumpkin patch. I think those have to be my two favorite activities of the year!

debhmom3 said...

Those pies look lovely! We picked way, way, way more than we could eat! I have made and froze applesauce both plain and cinnamon, apple butter and apple pie filling. We'll be enjoying the "fruits" of our labors all winter long. :)

Stephie said...

I love the pictures! That apple pie looks award-winning! Good job! I love how your men helped you, good family bonding.

Shawnee said...

MMMmm, those look so delicious. AND, that's one hot apron!