Chicken and Dumplings

This is another one of those recipes that I just kind of make and really have a recipe for, but I tried to write it down as I made it today. These are the same dumpling I make when I make sauerkraut and dumplings.

Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 t no sodium chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 t ground black pepper
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
12 eggs
4-5 cups flour
water (about 1 qt)

Directions:
1. Put the chicken breasts in a large soup pot and add about a quart of water. Add the chicken bouillon, bay leaf and pepper to the water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about an hour until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Once the chicken is cooked through, use a large fork to break it into large chunks. Remove the bay leaf. Add in the cream of chicken soup.
3. In a large mixer bowl, mix the dozen eggs with 4 to 5 cups of flour. This is your dumpling batter. You want the consistency to be kind of like cookie dough. It should be pretty wet and sticky, but you don't want it to be runny.
4. Drop large spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into the boiling pot. Be sure they get down in the liquid. I just use a large tablespoon and push the dough off with my finger (yes, I wash my hands first - geez).
5. Put a lid on the pot and let the stuff cook for a good 15 minutes or so. The dumplings will fluff up and fill the pot. You can let them cook as long as you want, but if you are like me, you will want to get to them as soon as possible.

6 comments:

debhmom3 said...

You make the best dumplings on earth!

Cynthia Matzat said...

I'm glad you like them. :)

Anonymous said...

Bisquik makes delicious dumplings as well!

Hi, I'm Jenny said...

Hi, Cynthia! I'm a huge fan of your blog. It's been a HUGE help to me in meal planning for my family. I'm trying this Chicken and Dumplings recipe tonight. I've read and re-read the recipe and don't see mention of the cream of chicken soup in the steps??

Thanks so much for sharing and your time!

Cynthia Matzat said...

Got it fixed, Jenny! Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Hi, I'm Jenny said...

Thank you!!! Just in time. :)