Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars

Here is my latest attempt at replicating the school lunch peanut butter bars I remember from my childhood. They are in the oven right now, so we'll see how they turn out.


Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup peanut butter, creamy
2 cups oatmeal, not quick
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1. Cream first three ingredients together.
2. Add the vanilla, eggs and peanut butter and combine.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together.
4. Spread dough on a greased sheet cake pan.
5. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Cool and cut into bars.

Modified from a recipe found on recipezaar.

3 comments:

CarolinaDreamz said...

I, too, searched for the Peanut Butter Chews, of my school days. After much experimenting, this is the recipe, that I love...

http://familyhugzeatzcake.blogspot.com/2009/02/peanut-butter-chews.html

~Heidi @ Carolina Dreamz

Cynthia Matzat said...

Thanks Heidi. :) I had a friend in my hometown contact the lunch ladies, and they are supposed to send me the recipe. I can't wait until it gets here!

Donna Sandlin said...

I also have been searching for this peanut butter bars that we had in lunch in the 70's. Would love to have it when you find it!!