One Pot Creamy Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables

This is a great recipe that I modified slightly from The Skinnyish Dish blog. I noted my modifications in parentheses. It made a ton of food, and it was simple and tasty. This will definitely be in the regular meal rotation.



Ingredients

1.5 lbs chicken breast, raw cut into bite size pieces and sprinkled with kosher salt and pepper
3 cups broccoli frozen (sometimes I do half cauliflower and half broccoli)
1.5 cups corn frozen
2 cups carrots frozen (I substituted  1 cup of frozen peas for carrots as I don't like cooked carrots)
*I also added about 8 oz of fresh mushrooms
6 cloves garlic minced (about two tablespoons)
2 tsp olive oil (I leave out the olive oil and just mist my nonstick skillet with olive oil using my Misto)
1 tsp kosher salt extra to taste (I use 1/2 tsp)
pepper to taste (I use 1 tsp)
7 oz (dry) bowtie pasta (I used mini bowties)
3 cups chicken broth (I always end up using 4 cups, which is a whole box of chicken stock)
1.5 cups half and half
1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated (real parmesan - not the Kraft stuff in the can)
1/4 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt or to taste (I substituted some garlic and onion powder and a little bit of Mrs. Dash)

Slurry
1.5 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water

Directions:
  1. Remove frozen vegetables from freezer and let thaw naturally in a bowl while prepping the other ingredients.
  2. Heat a large skillet or pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat and heat 2 tsp olive oil (I just spray with olive oil to cut down on the extra fat and calories). Add diced chicken breast to hot pan and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  3. When the chicken is cooked, add minced garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add dry pasta, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Cover. Bring to a boil and then return to simmer. Let pasta cook, covered, for about 12 minutes or until noodles are tender.
  4. While the pasta is cooking: Make slurry by adding 1.5 tbsp of cornstarch and 1 tbsp of water to a small bowl and whisking it with a fork until combined well. Set aside.
  5. Cut broccoli into smaller pieces if they are large.
  6. When the pasta is done cooking add slightly thawed vegetables into the pot, cover again, and let them cook for just a few minutes or until warmed through.
  7. Stir in half and half and parmesan cheese. Bring to a gentle boil and add slurry. Continue to stir together for a few minutes until thickened. 
  8. Season with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Pepper to taste (I substitute a little garlic and onion powder and Mrs. Dash).

Serving size: 1 and 3/4 cups. Makes 6 servings
WW Freestyle Points = 6 (7 points if you use the olive oil in the original version)

Recipe Source - The Skinnyish Dish

0 comments: