Homemade Chicken Stuffing Mix

I use this in place of the boxed mixes so I can lower sodium content and increase fiber.




Ingredients:

3 cups dried bread cubes and crumbs (I use one loaf of Nature's Own Honey Wheat Light)
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper (I make my own by combining dried lemon peel and pepper)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
dash celery seed
2 teaspoons dried onions
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon (I use the no sodium kind)

Directions:

1. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes, or simply break apart and crumble into large crumbs.
2. Spread bread pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees and continue baking for at least 2 hours.
4. Remove dried bread from oven and place cookie sheet on cooling rack until cool.
5. Add seasonings, stirring to mix. Store in a tightly sealed container or zipper freezer bag (will puncture light ziplock bags) until needed.

Yield: 3 cups
(recipe from Tammy's Recipes)

0 comments: