Hot Rolls - Cinnamon Rolls

This is my mom's recipe. My family devours these rolls every time we make them. I usually do the option to add wheat flour to increase the fiber. Since I have a small family, we always have leftover rolls. They freeze very well, and you just have to throw them in the microwave for a minute to thaw them out for a dinner.

Because the dough is a large batch, my mom usually makes hot rolls with half the dough, saves the other half in the fridge, and the next morning uses the reserved dough for cinnamon rolls.





Ingredients

2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
¾ stick margarine
2 packages yeast
½ cup warm water
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
6-7 cups all purpose flour

Directions
Heat milk, sugar and margarine in small saucepan until combined. Let mixture cool.

Dissolve yeast in water. Beat in eggs and salt. Mix all ingredients together with 6-7 cups white flour (or 3 wheat and 4 white). Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap. Let dough rise in bowl in a warm place for at least 3 hours, but best overnight in refrigerator. Punch dough down when necessary.

For Dinner Rolls:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 stick butter in 9 x 13 inch pan. Roll out ½ of the dough to ½ inch thick. Cut in circles and fold in half. Place in pan and bake 15 minutes or until lightly brown.

For Cinnamon Rolls:Heat oven to 450 degrees. Melt 1 stick butter. Roll out ½ of the dough about ¼ inch thick. Spread butter on top. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and cut in 1 inch slices. Put rest of butter in a 15 x 10 inch pan and bake about 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Top with vanilla frosting if desired.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking today that I would love to make some cinnamon rolls for my honey. I was trying to think about the best recipe to try and I checked your blog and it was the first recipe listed, fate I do believe. I will let you know how they turn out when I make them.