Country Ham and Macaroni Casserole


Ingredients:
1 lb cooked ham, cubed
1 large onion, diced
1 lb elbow macaroni (I used shell-shaped pasta)
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz) - 2 % milk kind
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup

Directions:
Heat oven to 400º. Bring 4 quarts water to boiling in large pot. Once water begins to boil, add onion and pasta to pot. Return water to boiling; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta and onion; return to pot. Add ham, cheese, sour cream and soup. Pour into a 13x9x2 baking dish. Bake in heated 400º oven 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

If freezing: Prepare in two 8x8 casserole dishes, bake one and freeze one (unbaked) for another day. Let thaw in fridge before baking as directed.

Recipe modified from one by Balancing Act Basics

5 comments:

Kerri said...

I'm stealing this recipe for my 'Choice of the Day' for Tuesday. It sounds yummy and we have everything on hand! Thanks for posting it.

Spiele said...

Loks good I'll have to try it

Marian said...

I made this the other night for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics! I made one to freeze and baked one right away. I added a little extra cheese on top before baking! It was delicious! We all loved it! Can't wait to get the one out of the freezer for another dinner!

Hilary's Kitchen! said...

Hi,I was wondering instead of ham if I could use cut up hot dogs in this?Because we just bought a big pack at sams club and I dunno what to do with them all,lol...

Cynthia Matzat said...

Hilary, I'm sure hot dogs would be just fine. :)