Grilled Pizza

Grilling pizzas ended up being much easier than I expected, and they tasted fabulous! The little bit of smoky flavor you get from the crust really makes the pizza. If you've never tried grilling pizza before, you must give this a shot.

















Ingredients:
pizza dough of your choice (I used this recipe - fast and easy)
pizza sauce
toppings of your choice (make sure any meats are pre-cooked)
mozarella cheese
olive oil

Directions:
Preheat your grill to medium high heat (mine was at about 450 degrees). Make sure the grill grates are clean, and then coat with oil using a paper towel to help prevent sticking.

I also get all of my toppings, sauce, olive oil, etc. all set out by the grill so that I can be ready to assemble the pizzas as soon as I flip the crust on the grill. 

Divide your pizza dough into however many personal pizzas you want to make. I don't recommend making one large pizza on the grill as it would be very hard to flip. I divided mine into four sections. Roll out your dough on a large cookie sheet sprayed with no-stick spray. Brush the top of the crust with olive oil to keep it from sticking to the grill.

Place the pizza crusts on the grill, oiled side down, and immediately brush the other side with oil. Once the first side has cooked from 2-4 minutes to where it is lightly browned, flip the crusts over using a large spatula. You need to quickly sauce the cooked sides of the pizzas, add your toppings, and top with cheese.

















Close your grill and let them cook a few minutes until the cheese is melted. (Tip: If you find that your crust is cooking too fast, you can place them on a cookie sheet, and then place the cookie sheet on the grill to allow the toppings to heat up without burning your crust.) Remove cooked pizzas to cookie sheet and bring in to eat and enjoy!

4 comments:

FoodontheTable said...

So sorry you got rained on!

Emmeline McWilliams said...

how did you transfer the pizza dough to the grill? mine just kinda fell apart... did i roll it too thin? thanks!

Cynthia Matzat said...

Emmeline, I actually placed the dough on the grill using my hands. You might have rolled it too thin, and make sure you don't make them very big. I would say mine were about a 1/2 inch thick, and were just smaller than a dinner plate. I just kind of pick up the crust in my hands and quickly flip the oiled side down onto the grill.

Emmeline McWilliams said...

Haven't tried it since then, but the flavor was great... Will try again and not roll it so thin. Thanks for responding! :)