Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

I got this recipe from my friend, Melissa. She made them for a breakfast at school, and they were wonderful! Eric says his likes them better than the pumpkin muffins at Panera!

The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil, but I substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce.

















Ingredients:
2½ c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Streusel Topping:
Combine 2 Tbsp. flour, ¼ c. sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon.  Cut in 3 Tbsp. butter until mixture is combined.

Directions:
In a large bowl combine first 5 ingredients; set aside.  In medium bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin and oil.  Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.  Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling ¾ full.  Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


***Melissa’s note:  When I’m using the cupcake liners, I go ahead and fill the muffin cups as full as I can, using the all the batter for just 12 muffins.  It will make 12 jumbo size muffins.  If I don’t have the cupcake liners, I only fill ¾ of the way full because the tops will pull off when trying to get them out of the pan if they get too big.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

these sound awesome! do you use a 15 oz can or the big one?

Cynthia Matzat said...

Kristen, I use the 15 oz. can. These are so awesome! You've got to make them. :)

Kristen said...

Thanks! I'll have to make some this weekend :)