Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Roll-Up

I have to admit, I'm not a pie person. I'm especially not a pumpkin pie person. This isn't usually a problem until Thanksgiving comes around. Then, everyone expects you to eat pumpkin pie for dessert. Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to pumpkin - I just don't like it in pie form. I'm always on the lookout for alternative recipes to make for Thanksgiving instead of pumpkin pie. This year, I've decided on this one. I haven't made a pumpkin and cream cheese roll-up for years (which is why you are just now seeing this on the blog), but I love them. Moist pumpkin cake swirled with cream cheese filling - yum!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
Cream Cheese Filling (recipe follows)
 
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll pan. Line with parchment paper/waxed paper; grease and flour the paper.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and salt into bowl. Set aside.

3. Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick and fluffy; beat in pumpkin. Stir in sifted dry ingredients all at once. Pour into prepared pan; spread evenly with rubber spatula.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip.

5. Loosen cake around edges with a knife. Invert onto clean damp towel dusted with confectioners sugar; peel off wax paper. Trip ¼ inch from all sides. Roll up cake and towel together from short side. Place seam-side down on wire rack; cool completely.

6. Unroll cake. Spread with Cream Cheese Filling. Reroll cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Cream Cheese Filling:
Beat together 1 cup sifted confectioners sugar, 1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese, 6 tablespoons butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been debating on making a dessert to take to my parents. I wanted to make something a bit different! I might have to give this a try.

I think is cool you are a librarian! I am a school counselor! =)