One Pot Macaroni and Cheese

This recipe was a bit of a disappointment to me. It's a pain to have to stand there and stir the pasta for 20 minutes, and it comes out chewier than I would like. I had to add at least an additional cup of milk to it, and I used about 2 cups of cheese total. I don't think I will be making this one again.

Ingredients
2 cups elbow macaroni or shell pasta
2 cups skim milk , plus more if needed
1 T butter (optional)
1/2 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions
In a large sauce pan, add the uncooked macaroni and milk (and butter if you choose to use it). Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer, turn down to low. Stir frequently for 15-20 minutes until the milk is mostly absorbed and the pasta is tender. You can add more milk if needed. Do not allow the milk to boil. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Remove the pot from the heat and cover with the lid and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir and taste. Add salt and pepper if desired. Serves 4.


Recipe modified from Real Mom Kitchen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this two nights ago. I usually don't bother w/ homemade mac and cheese recipes because they usually are too involved. I was thrilled that this one was so simple - I had all the ingredients in my kitchen already, except for the Monterey Jack cheese, which was no problem to run up to the store to get.
This was so easy to make. I've never heard of cooking pasta in milk (and butter), but it makes sense b/c the pasta had a creamy flavor even before I added the cheeses. (I used 2% milk). My son and I LOVED it. It reminded us of the Trader Joe's frozen mac & cheese that we love so much.
I did not find it a pain to occasionally stir the pasta during the 20 minutes. I liked it chewy & I did not have to add any additional milk or cheese. I followed the recipe & thought it was perfect - will definitely make again.

Cynthia Matzat said...

Glad it was a good one for you. :) I have a crockpot mac and cheese recipe that I enjoy more than this one. It's good if you have time to let it cook in the crockpot. http://www.myfamilymealplan.com/2010/04/crockpot-macaroni-and-cheese.html