Fire Roasted Chicken Tortilla Soup

This may be my best soup creation ever! I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of this one. I tried lots of versions of tortilla soup over the years, but hadn't found the one that was the perfect flavor combination. I finally decided I just needed to create my own, and boy am I glad I did! The combination of the fire roasted tomatoes (yes, you must use these!), chipotle and green chiles, and the hint of cumin make this a spicy, flavorful soup that my family can't get enough of. And talk about healty, it's only 103 calories per cup, has 1 gram of fat, and 5 grams of fiber! Woo hoo! This just might be the perfect soup recipe. :)



Ingredients:
4 cups Imagine Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
4 14.5 oz cans Hunt's Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 cup fresh salsa (you'll find it in the refrigerated case in the produce section)
1 cup water
3 T masa flour
2 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups cooked black beans (made from dry, not canned)

Directions:


In a large stock pot mix the chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, green chiles, and tomatoes. Add the the onion, chipotles, and salsa. Use an imersion blender to mix to a semi-smooth texture. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Whisk together the masa and water in a small bowl and add to the pot. Add chicken, beans, and corn. Simmer for 30 more minutes.

Makes 16 cups



4 comments:

amandak23k said...

This look sooo good!! I plan on making it this week!! Thanks for sharing.

Stefanie said...

I loved this one!!! I ate it all week.

Stephanie said...

I think I've made this soup 6 times in the last 2 months. LOVE IT!! Making another batch right this second, too :-)

Sharon said...

I have made this a couple of time and it has been a hit EVERY time. I constantly get request :)