Peach Tea

One of my favorite things about summertime is peach season. I love going to the local orchard and getting a box of peaches. My sweet husband knows how much I hate peach fuzz (it makes my teeth tingle!), and always peels them for me. I love to chow down on a bowl of freshly cut peaches, and even better is to pair them with vanilla ice cream. Yum! One of the local tea rooms is famous for its peach tea. I figured I needed to give it a try, so I went with a friend last week to check it out. It was wonderful! It just screamed summer. (I bet you didn't know tea could scream.) I thought I would try to replicate their recipe, and this recipe comes pretty close. I'm pretty sure they use straight up sugar and lots of it in their tea, but I substituted Splenda to make it low calorie. It's a nice, refreshing treat on these 100 degree days.


Ingredients:
8 large sweet peaches
4 cups water
1 cup Splenda
3 family sized tea bags
3 quarts water

Directions:
1. Place washed and sliced peaches (skins left on) in a large saucepan with four cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for one hour.
2. Turn off heat and allow fruit mixture to rest for about an hour.
3. Set a sieve lined with a coffee filter over a collecting container.  Pour the cooled fruit mixture through the sieve. This should yield around 4 cups of liquid.
4. Add 1 cup Splenda to the flavored water and mix until dissolved. Set aside.
5. Boil 1 quart of water in a tea kettle. Put the tea bags in a gallon-sized pitcher, and pour the boiling water over the bags. Let the tea steep for about 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags.
5. Add the sweetened peach-flavored water to the tea. Add 1 more quart of water to make one gallon. Mix well and refrigerate to cool.
6. Serve over ice. I like to add a couple of frozen peaches to the glass as well.

Makes 1 gallon

0 comments: