Beer Braised Beef

I'm making this one for the first time today. I've had to give up on using my crock pot during the week as I am gone too long during the day and all of my meals keep burning. I have to admit that it felt weird buying beer at the grocery store yesterday. I can't stand to drink beer (same for the hubby), but I do like the flavor in recipes, so we'll see how this one goes.

Note after dinner: This was great! Even the boy loved it.



Ingredients

3 bacon strips, diced
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
Hot cooked noodles

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, discarding drippings. Sprinkle beef with pepper and salt. In the same skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.

Add the bacon, onion, garlic and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Pour over beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.

In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef over noodles.

Yield: 8 servings.

(recipe source -Best Simple Recipes)

0 comments: