Peanut Butter Brownies

We had a snow day today, and I was reminiscing about an old school cafeteria treat. When I was in school, my favorite school dessert was this chewy peanut butter bar. They were amazing! I know, it's hard to believe that a school cafeteria item can be good, but they really were. So, I decided to make some peanut butter brownies today. These are pretty close to my old school favorite, and are great served warm with vanilla ice cream.





Ingredients

5 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions

In a 3-quart pan over low heat, heat butter until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, peanut butter, and baking powder until smoothly blended. Evenly spread batter in a buttered and floured 8-inch square pan. Bake in 350°F oven until edges feel firm to touch and begin to turn a shade darker, 25 to 30 minutes (but can take up to 40 minutes, depending on your oven). Run a knife between pan rim and baked brownie. Cool in pan on a rack. Cut into squares.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

These look amazing! I am going to have to try them. I have a strange question, though...do they smell a lot like peanut butter? The smell makes my husband gag. Crazy, isn't it? I just need to know if I need to make it when he is not around.

By the way, I just read your comment about the snow on OrgJunkie's site. I clicked over here because you said you were from SE MO. I love finding other blogs from Missouri. Plus my husband is originally from SE MO, so I had to check it out. I was surprised to see it was a blog I already subscribe to!

Cynthia Matzat said...

Tiffany,

The do smell very much like peanut butter, and they taste very much like peanute butter. But if you like PB, they are great (though very rich). I'm actually from SW MO, but my husband is from SE MO (Cape Girardeau). :)

Anyway, hope this helps!

Cynthia

Stephanie ODea said...

boy these look amazing! I might have to test them out today. I have a new jar of PB in the cubbard.
xox
steph

MrsSchoon said...

Wow, I'm definitely going to be trying these!

MrsSchoon said...

I made these tonight and they were fabulous! Thanks!
http://sweetsavorysouthern.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/brownies-take-two/

Anonymous said...

Seeking a similar recipe from school cafeteria days. It had an icing top and no chocolate chips like most of the recipes I have found. I'll try this one and see. Thanks

Rhonda Parrish said...

Yum! I saw these and had to have them...they are baking right now, I hope I'm able to wait until after dinner to start eating...but I'm not optimistic :)