Hearty Cheeseburger Potato Soup

This was my weekend to take care of my mom. While I'm there, I always try to make something to eat that will leave her with leftovers she can eat throughout the coming week when she doesn't feel like cooking. This weekend I made a very hearty soup that was a hit with mom and the boys. :) This makes a huge batch, so be sure to use a big stock pot when you make it.



Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef (93/7)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
2 14 oz. cans low fat/low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
5 medium potatoes, cubed (I leave the skin on)
3 medium carrots, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
3 t dried basil
2 t dried parsley
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
12 oz. reduced fat Velveeta
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

Directions:
Cook the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is cooked through. Drain. Put into a large stock pot. Add the water, celery and carrots to the pot and bring to a boil.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1 can of the broth until smooth. Add to the mixture in the pot. Bring back to a boil and stir until thickened.

Add in the potatoes, seasonings, and remaining broth. Turn heat to low and cook covered about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add milk, cubed Velveeta and sour cream to the pot. Stir until cheese is melted. Simmer for 15 more minutes and serve.

Makes about 12 1 cup servings.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I make the same soup and my family loves it. I usually serve it with dinner rolls, to go along with the cheeseburger theme. :)