Menu Plan Monday - Zucchini Invasion Edition


The zucchini have taken over my garden! I made the mistake of planting 6 zucchini plants this summer. Yes, I said six. Yes, I know you only need one. Yes, I'm paying the price for it now. I currently have 26 zucchini of varying sizes - normal to baseball-bat-sized - sitting on my kitchen counter. I've made at least 10 loaves of zucchini bread, I've given away several of them (people are starting to hide when they see me coming with my garden basket), and yet I still have 26 on the counter. And more in the garden..... yikes! So, this week's menu is centered around my plethora of green squash. :-)

This is the official first week of school (the kids come Thursday) and will be very busy, but I'm going to try my best to do some cooking this week. Each night we will be eating some kind of zucchini dish with our meal. I'll also be making some zucchini bread brownies and zucchini spice cupcakes as treats. You'll also see two new chicken dishes on the menu this week, so be sure to check back later to see the photos after I've made them. This is pretty ambitious for me for the first week of school. We often end up eating out a lot during that week since we are so busy with open house, last-minute preparations, etc., but I wanted to try do better by my family than eating fast food. So, on with the menu! I hope you enjoy the new recipes (and I hope I enjoy them too!). For more menu ideas, go to orgjunkie.com.

Sunday - Eat at the Cardinals game (surprise 65th birthday party for my mother-in-law)
Monday - Chili Ranch Grilled Pork, Zucchini Pancakes, Strawberries
Tuesday - Eat out (open house at school and boy has evening student council)
Wednesday - Tarragon Chicken with Buttered Leeks, Zucchini Casserole, Salad
Thursday - Grilled Bruschetta Chicken, Scalloped Zucchini on the grill, Salad
Friday - Homemade pizza, Salad
Saturday - Balsamic Glazed Tuna Steaks, Broiled Zucchini with Cheese, Salad

3 comments:

debhmom3 said...

Good for you for not bowing to fast food! I made a zucchini cobbler that Elizabeth had here http://thefloweringdogwood.blogspot.com/2009/07/zucchini-cobbler.html and it was awesome! Not low fat, but absolutely delicious! My zucchini are coming to an end I think so I don't have quite as many as you! :)

SilverMoon Dragon said...

Ooh, that Tarragon Chicken sounds great, perfect for our Indian Summer in the middle of Winter weather!

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for all of the zucchini recipes! How wonderful. I can't wait to expose my new converts to these great dishes.